Wednesday, November 11

"Shit My Dad Says"


There's lots of talk about how social media is completely replacing traditional media. I am not personally one of those folks who says that television is dead, or print for that matter. The rules of engagement are certainly changing, but the traditional forms of media are by no means dead. And while social media is growing by leaps and bounds, and changing how we interact, it is not killing every single other form of marketing communication.

Witness "Shit My Dad Says". Justin Halpern is 29 years old and lives with his 73 year old dad. He pays attention to the nuggets of wisdom that his dad throws out and puts them Twitter. With over 700,000 followers since August, Justin's tweets have become a phenomenon. I follow him!

"Shit My Dad Says" are little tidbits of advice, often written very "colorfully" that not only put a smile on your face but also cause you to stop and think.

And in an unusual sequence of events, "Shit My Dad Says" will soon hit the small screen. The makers of "Will & Grace" are taking this Twitter concept and creating a television comedy. Justin also has a book coming out.

You can read about it here: http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/twitters-shit-my-dad-says-gets-tv-deal.html

Hmmm .... social media going traditional. Love it.

What's your experience? Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment