Tuesday, December 1

Zappos in all the Right Places


One of the things I write about in my upcoming marketing book is that almost anything can be a media vehicle for a brand's marketing plan. Literally anything. The usual suspects like magazines, websites, and tv advertising. And more interesting venues like movie theaters, text messages, and even bathroom stalls (no kidding, I saw a poster for a very personal product at the gym the other day).

Any place where a consumer "lives" can be a touchpoint for a marketing message (witness all the advertising and promotion on Facebook). Not saying they ALL should be, but anything certainly can be.

This week, while travelling, I proved my own point. I was going through security at the airport, just about to take off my shoes and put them in one of those bins. What did I spy with my little eye?

Advertising! A tray liner in the bin with an ad for Zappos.com! Brilliant. A place where you can buy shoes advertising in a vehicle that reminds you that your shoes are crummy and that maybe you should get new ones. They say the medium is the message?!?

Awesome marketing.

What's your experience? Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment