Thursday, December 29

Fire Safety

Today I am writing a very personal post ... to capture my feelings this week.

A business colleague and fellow marketing devotee suffered a very tragic loss on Christmas Day from a horrible fire in her home.  Her loss is beyond comprehension.  I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through.  I feel so lost in my emotions ... don't know quite what to do.

So in her honor, I talked to my family about fire safety.  We literally spoke about what to do in the event of a fire and specific ways to get out of the house.  We tend to have a lot of teenage friends in the house, many of them sleeping over so I talked to all of them too.  I felt so much better doing that.

I encourage you to do the same.  Change the batteries in the smoke detectors and make sure you have evacuation routes planned out with your family.  It's vitally important.  Here's a website to help you prepare.

Happy Holidays to you all ... please stay safe at home and on the road.

Jim

4 comments:

  1. At night, before you go to bed, unplug all electrical items not in use and always use correctly rated fuses in all electrical appliances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been amazing how many people are sharing tips on fire safety. At least we are doing something good out of something so tragic. Thanks! Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    I hope your colleague was OK. It is amazing how many people are posting on fire safety but it is so important. Did you know Kitchen Fires are the main cause of house fires? And of those most occur do to unattended stoves. It is for that reason we created Stove Stopper to save lives.

    Our website www.StoveSTopper has many articles and resources to help prepare for a fire. The Dummies book website also has a entire section on fire and kitchen fire safety.

    Have you also prepared a "File Of Life" for each member of your family? That is very important. Most fire departments have them free of charge.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the most helpful info ... it's important to share this so that people can become prepared. Appreciate it. Jim.

    ReplyDelete