Thursday, July 25

The Art of Positioning

This coming Saturday, I'm teaching the second part of my weekend intensive course at NYU.  I really enjoy the second session the most, because at this point I know the students a bit better and we get to dive a little deeper.  While I touch upon the concept of positioning in the first class, it's in this second class that I really blow it out.

I love to talk about positioning.  It's the holy grail of marketing, yet to be honest so many of us don't quite nail it.  It's a hard concept to grasp, and an even harder one to practice.  But it makes for a lively discussion each and every time.

If you click here, I've linked to a recent article I wrote for Entrepreneur where I tackle the "Art of Positioning."  This particular article is the 8th in my series where I tackle how to build the brand experience.

Nailing your positioning is a critical step.

What's your experience?  Jim.

Jim Joseph
- President, Cohn &  Wolfe NA
- Author, The Experience Effect series
- Professor, NYU
- Contributor, Entrepreneur and Huffington Post

2 comments:

  1. "The key is to make sure the actual brand experience delivers on what was intended in the positioning."

    As I read your article this exact thought crossed my mind. It calls the brand to constantly question their choices/decisions based on the position that's been established. If a brand notices that their delivery remains inconsistent with the position, then it may be time for them to go back to the drawing board and either reassess driving position or restructure delivery.

    Essentially, good brand positioning is defining and establishes authenticity for the brand and how it is received by consumers. If position and delivery are aligned and speak to the consumer on some emotional level, consumer confidence and loyalty increases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got that right! Great to have you in class! Jim.

    ReplyDelete